Friday, January 8, 2021

Is anything too hard for the Lord?

READ: Genesis 17, 18; Psalm 9; Matthew 5:1-32

SCRIPTURE: Genesis 17: 1 When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to him and said, “I am God Almighty; walk before me faithfully and be blameless.

17 Abraham fell facedown; he laughed and said to himself, “Will a son be born to a man a hundred years old? Will Sarah bear a child at the age of ninety?”

18:11 Abraham and Sarah were already very old, and Sarah was past the age of childbearing. 12 So Sarah laughed to herself as she thought, “After I am worn out and my lord is old, will I now have this pleasure?”

OBSERVATION: Today's reading passage has seeds for many contemplative thoughts. However,  two things draw my attention as I read today. Here, God calls Abram to "walk" and to "be blameless." This call is not to live an ordinary life that everyone does, but for faithfully walking with God. Walking with God and being blameless are inseparable. We are called to live a blameless life in front of the people who live around us.

It is somewhat surprising to see that the same Abraham who believed God's promise without any doubt when God answered his heart desire for a child (Gen.15:1-6) now laughs in disbelief. Sarah also did the same. They were not speaking out what they thought about bearing a son in their old age, but for God they were audible. God did not reprimand them, but reminded his promise again. " Is anything too hard for the Lord?"

APPLICATION: I am called to live a faithful life to walk with God,  a blameless life in front of others, to God. While I am faithful in external things, I need to be aware of being faithful to God in my own heart and thoughts. God sees them all. His word has the power to do anything impossible.  I may be old or too young to walk with God and to fulfill the call. "Is anything too hard for the Lord?" All I need to do is to believe his word and waiting for the appointed time for the fulfilment of God's promise. “Everything is possible for one who believes” (Mark 9:23).

PRAYER: Father God,  instead of looking at my circumstances, hearing what others say, and thinking about what is not possible, help me to look up and listen to your words to fulfill the call you have placed for me,. Thank you for reminding the promise you gave me before. God, you are faithful. Give me your strength to be faithful in everything. Amen. 

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573
9 January 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment