Tuesday, January 5, 2021

The way of righteousness

 READ: Genesis 11, 12; Psalm 6; Matthew 3:13-17

SCRIPTURE: Matthew 3: 15 Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented.

OBSERVATION: In our reading today, we see Jesus's first words in the Gospel of Matthew. Until then, Jesus was an unknown person who lived a normal life. Through his mother, John the Baptist may have heard a few things about Jesus and their family connection. However, John was not aware of who Jesus really was (John 1:31). On the other hand, despite being fully aware of his identity, Jesus was ready "to fulfill all righteousness." When Jesus was baptized by John, it was the culmination of John's prophetic ministry. It became the time to declare the long awaited good news about the arrival of the Messiah. As the Gospel says, the people around them were able to hear the heavenly affirmation of Who Jesus is. 

APPLICATION: Others may not know about my identity in Christ. However, that should not deter me to fulfill all righteousness before God. Irrespective of my situation, voluntarily I should go forward to do proper things. Whatever I do, I am doing it for the Lord God, not for the people around me. When I do so, others will have opportunities to see and to hear God through my life and actions.

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for the example you have shown us to walk in your righteous way, through the life of Jesus Christ. Strengthen my feet to walk in your path. Amen.

- Arputharaj Samuel
+91 9538328573
6 January 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment